Ekto Manufacturing Corporation was formed in 1968 by engineers involved since 1958 in the design and construction of military shelters for US armed forces known as S-141, S-250 and S-280 type enclosures. These type shelters required lightweight designs, subject to vigorous performance tests, both structural and environmental.
The requirement for enclosures used as air monitoring and communication stations in the early 1970's provided a new market for these types of structures, modified to serve the commercial field. EKTO Mfg. Corp was successful in this venture and became a well-known leader and supplier to the commercial industry as well as governmental agencies on a worldwide basis. Other firms, copying the design and appearance, incorporating construction modification not inherent to military type standards, echoed the success.